Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Ezra's Latest



  • Vocabulary skills continue to ramp up.  I have an official echo; literally every word I say, Ezra gives it a try too.  He is also expanding his repertoire with adjectives.  For example, he talks about the "big truck", "tiny dog", "funny boy" and "brown car", etc.  He will echo every fifth word he hears when we read the Book of Mormon together.  Sometimes, he will repeat other people's overhead conversations in the grocery store or the library.  He recently started differentiating "grandma" from "grandpa", and says them very distinctly now.  His first three-word phrase was, "Maybe grandma home?" (pointing to the computer, hoping that we could skype with grandma)  She was, and we did, and grandma was tickled pink that Ezra requested her company.  Anytime anyone sneezes (including himself), Ezra will say very promptly, "Bless you." 
  • Ezra also seems to understand how to articulate some basic emotions.  For example, he will sometimes say, "tummy hurt", or "doggy mad" (if we encounter a wildly barking dog on a walk).  Sometimes he will come to me and say, "Sad.  Hug?"  I am impressed with his acknowledgement of his emotions (I'm sad) , and his efforts to solve the problem (I need a hug.)  Bear is often tagged with emotions as well.  "Bear sick.  Help", was a recent request from my little guy. 
  • Imaginative play is starting as well.  Usually it involves bear.  Bear and Ezra reading a book together.  Bear and Ezra "cooking soup".  Bear getting a "bath" with wipes.  Bear going for a walk in the stroller or a push on the toy mower.
  • He is making connections all the time!  For example, he likes to know what day it is.  If I tell him it is Friday, he immediately hollers (and I mean hollers) "Garbage truck!"  If I tell him it is Saturday he responds, "Daddy home."  If I tell him it is Sunday, he calls back, "Nur-she" (nursery).
  • Ezra and I sing songs all the time.  It turns out Ezra is doing more than just listening to me sing, he is internalizing the words, too.  We play fill-in-the-blank singing time, and I am amazed at the words he knows.  His favorites are "Choose the Right", "Choose the Right Way", and "I Am a Child of God".  We also play fill-in-the-blank singing the ABC's.  
  • Ezra loves strawberries (straw-bees), any variation of chicken-and-rice-and-a-sauce, goldfish crackers, raisins, and apple juice.  He is a spotty breakfast eater, but tends to gobble any and all food at lunch and dinner.
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment